Mindjet Desktop Software and Cloud Applications
Mindjet (established in 1994) currently supply four forms of mind mapping software for sale, subscription or free use:
Mindjet for Business
The original application with a wide range of features for the Desktop, Notebook and Tablet PC user. You can go from:
- Brainstorming about, to managing a project.
- Researching a book or report, to publishing it.
- Collating information and turning it into a presentation.
Mindjet integrates with Microsoft Office allowing import, export and synchronisation with Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project. Your maps can be published as PDF, flash or web pages. It can be integrated with SharePoint. Third parties provide a wide range addons. Version 11 called Mindjet was released in September 2012 replacing MindManager 2012.
Some of Mindjet’s Windows features are:
- Calculations based on values in topics
- Social Task Management
- Guided Brainstorming
- Marker Index
- Dynamic Integration with SharePoint
- Task Filter Feature
- Desktop client for Mindjet Web
- Direct access to Maps for That
- Analysis View – ala Boston Consulting Group Matrix
- Multiple hyperlinks per topic
- Embedded Browser tools for adding images, selected text or entire page to a topic
- Gantt chart view
- Ribbon improvements and customisation, “How To” Task Pane & New Templates
The version provides all the basic functionality of the Windows version plus integrating with Mac’s standard set of applications. Version 10 was released in September 2012.
The cloud version of Mindjet allowing teams, suppliers and clients to collaborate. Mindjet Files has accounts with members and workspaces with rights controlled by the account and workspace owners. It allows members to simultaneously edit maps, sharing and linking to files in the workspace or on the web. Versions can be stored. Mindjet Web can be accessed via: browsers on Windows PCs, Apple Macs; Applications on iPad, iPhone and Android.
Mindjet Web is also the master store for Mindjet Tasks. You can create a Mindjet Task on the browser client or the PC. Any changes will be synced across all platforms.
iPhone, iPad and Android
These are free applications and great places to start using mind mapping software. They can work on local maps, those stored on Mindjet Web or other web services such as Dropbox and SkyDrive. They have much less functionality than and do not replicate the map style from the desktop products but this may be enough for your needs.